Configuring eCounsel to meet your company’s needs is largely intuitive; however, there is a specific order that needs to be followed. You may encounter errors and reduced or invalid functionality if you change the order. The following is configured from within Suite Manager:
- Logical Groups – Provides a method of grouping matter records in whatever manner suits your company’s needs. Users or user groups can then be given access rights to these logical groups. See Creating a Logical Group.
- Users – Users’ login IDs and passwords are managed on this tab. Password expiration settings are maintained on the Security Settings window in Suite Manager. See Creating a User for more information.
- User Groups – Allows you to assign users to user groups. Configurations such as access rights can then be made by security attribute, which will affect all users assigned to that user group. Exceptions may be made by editing a user record. See Creating a Group for more information.
- Types – Allows you to specify the classifications for matter records, then assign law areas to the matter types. See Creating a Matter Type.
- System Settings – Allows you to configure settings for eCounsel. See Configuring System Settings.
- View Profiles/Type Profiles – Provides a method of individually adjusting tabs, tab labels, fields and field labels. Customization by view profile will only affect user groups assigned to the view profile. Customization by type profile will affect all users. See Creating a Type Profile, and Creating a View Profile.
The following are other areas of the Suite Manager application that can be used to make eCounsel meet your company’s specific needs:
- User-Defined Fields – Provides an area to create custom fields. See Creating a User- defined Field.
- Lookups – Provides an area to maintain the selections available in the dropdown lists. See Working with Lookups.
- Modules/Tabs – Allows you to globally change a tab’s attributes and create new tabs. In addition, you can assign a report to a specific tab. See Working with Modules and Tabs.
- Phases/Tasks – Provides an area to create and maintain ACC/ABA codes that may be selected from dropdown lists in the Matters module. See Working with Phases & Types.