Two types of custom fields exist:
- Corporate-wide fields are by module, which means the fields may be available to any user with access to that module.
- Type-specific fields are assigned to a specific entity or matter type. Type-specific fields will only be available in a record assigned to that entity or matter type.
These custom fields are subject to view profiles and can be added in the following places:
- Default tabs – These are the tabs in the default configuration of Suite.
- User Fields tab – The default configuration of Suite includes a tab available to each module for user-defined fields.
- Custom tabs – Tabs and subtabs you create specifically for your organization.
To Create a User-defined Field:
- Open Suite Manager.
- On the Suite Manager control panel, click the User Fields component in the System Configuration area.
- On the User Fields window, click New.
- On the User Field Information dialog box, select the module, tab, and/or entity/matter type for which the field is being created. Any field that is not specific to an entity or matter type will be designated as corporate-wide. See User Fields for more information.
- Type the name of the field in the Description text box, then select one of the following data types:
- Comment – An exploding memorandum field.
- Date/Time – A pop-up calendar field.
- Hyperlink – A definable, active hyperlink. See Creating a Hyperlink Field.
- Logical – A checkbox that will be either true (checkmark) or false (no checkmark).
- Lookup – A dropdown list of selections.
- Multi-Select – A dropdown list that has a checkbox by each item allowing more than one selection to be made.
- Number – Strictly numeric characters.
- Select – A pop-up list of people, entities, or matters (eCounsel only) from which to select.
- String – A series of characters (can be letters and/or numbers).
- If the field is a String or Number data type, type the format to be used when entering data in the field. See Masks for more information. If the field is a Lookup or Multi-Select data type, select a lookup category.
- Type a numeric indication of the position of the field on the tab. For example, “1” indicates the field will appear first, “2” indications the field will appear second, etc.
- Click on the Required checkbox to indicate data is required to be entered in the field in order to save the record.
- Click Save and Close.