Creating Parent-Child Lookup Codes with User Fields
In order to create user fields that are linked to parent-child lookup codes, each category of lookup code requires one user field. When you use this configuration, users can select a parent code from a category, then a child code from a subcategory.
You must perform the procedures below in the order given. Each procedure sets up a prerequisite for the next.
For more detailed instructions on each procedure, see Working with Lookups and Creating a User-defined Field.
In this example, the categories and subcategories are as shown below:
To Create the Subcategory:
- Open Suite Manager.
- On the Suite Manager control panel, click on the Lookups component in the System Configuration area.
- On the Lookups window, type the name of the subcategory, and then click the Add button.
- Confirm that the category is selected. Type the name of a code that will be a child code, and then click the Add button.
- Repeat Steps 3 and 4 for each child code.
To Create the Parent Category:
- On the Lookups window, type the name of the category that will contain the parent codes, and then click the Add button.
- Type the name of a code that will be a parent code, and then click the Add button. Repeat for each parent code.
- Double-click the parent category name, and then select the subcategory that you created previously. Click Save and Close.
To Link the Parent and Child Codes:
- In the Lookups window, click the Expand button. The Category Browser list box appears and displays the hierarchy of categories and subcategories.
- In the Category Browser list box, select the parent category
- In the Codes list box, double-click the first parent code.
- On the Lookup Codes dialog box, click the Child Codes tab.
- On the Child Codes tab, select the codes from the subcategory that will be child codes of the parent code.
- Click Save.
- Close the dialog box.
- Repeat steps 3 through 7 for each parent code. The Lookups window appears as shown:
To Create User Fields:
- On the Suite Manager control panel, click on the User Fields component in the System Configuration area
- On the User Fields window, click New.
- On the User Field Information dialog box, select the module, tab, and/or entity/matter type for which the field is being created. Any field that is not specific to an entity or matter type will be designated as corporate-wide. For more information see User Fields.
- Type a name for the field in the Description text box. This name will appear in the eCounsel or Secretariat user interface.
- For the Data Type, select Lookup.
- For the Lookup Category, select the parent category that you create.
- Type a number in the Position field that will determine the order of lookup codes.
- Optionally, select Required to force the user to make a selection.
- Click Save and Close.
- Optionally, click Configure to set the user field to read-only or hidden for certain user roles.
- Repeat Steps 2 through 10 for the subcategory. For the Position field, enter a value one higher than the parent category. For example, if you entered “1” for the parent category in Step 7, enter “2” for the subcategory.
In eCounsel or Secretariat, the fields appear on the module and tab that you selected. The user selects from the first category, County, and then selects from the subcategory, Judge.