One important aspect of I-9 best practices is for an employer to conduct an internal audit of their Forms I-9 to discern if they have any identifiable compliance issues. If a compliance issue exists, the employer should remediate the issues whenever possible and append an audit note to the Form I-9 explaining the issue and any corrective action taken.
A custom audit note can be created at any time for any I-9 record. There are no limits to the number of custom audit notes that can be added to an I-9 Record. Custom Audit Notes can be useful when conducting an Internal Audit, or when it is necessary to annotate why a change was made to a record. Custom audit notes can be useful when conducting an internal audit, or when it is necessary to annotate why a change was made to a record.
Advanced users can view, create, edit, and delete audit notes. Intermediate users can view and create audit notes. Basic users can only view audit notes.
- Search for the employee and jump into the Form I-9 tab.
- Go to the Summary tab within the I-9.
- Click the "Create Custom Audit Note" button.
- Select the correct Audit Batch from the dropdown list or accept the default selection.
- Select an audit result radio button, either "Audited Without Correction" or "Audited Correction Needed".
- Select "Audited Without Correction" if no changes were made to the Form I-9.
- Select "Audited Correction Needed" if changes are needed to one or more Form I-9 fields.
- If "Audited Correction Needed" was selected and the corrections have been made, click the “Check if Corrected” check box.
- Enter an Internal Note that describe the action taken or circumstances surrounding the audit. These notes appear on the Audit Batch report and can be used to explain why a Form I-9 had issues and the steps taken to address those issues.
- Click the Save button. Note that clicking Cancel will navigate the user back to the Summary tab without making any changes.
- Once an audit note is saved, it will appear in the View Existing Audit Notes table.
- Click the View link in the Action column to display the existing audit note.
- You may edit the audit note and click Save.
- You may delete the audit note by clicking Delete.