To open a document, click its link on any page.
Additionally, if you receive an email message that contains a link to a document or document folder, clicking on the link immediately opens the document or document folder. This depends on whether or not you are logged into TeamConnect and have the appropriate rights.
Viewing the Global Documents Area
Based on your access rights, the global Documents area allows you to access all of the documents that you have the rights to view in TeamConnect. You can also use this page to subscribe to a collection of documents that you want to track, such as all documents that are currently checked out for editing, or all documents that were recently added to TeamConnect.
To view the global Documents area
- Click the Documents tab.
- Use the Global Documents Toolbar to perform most document-related tasks.
Viewing the Documents Page for a Record
Several record types have a documents page where you can manage documents that relate to the specified type of record. You can add many types of records to a Documents page, such as court documents, letters, and presentations.
The following record types have a Documents page:
Related record types Involved and History also have Documents pages, but those record types must be accessed through one of the record types listed above.
To view the Documents page for a record
- From your menu, select one of the following options to access the Documents page:
- For Accounts—Click the Finance tab, and then click the Accounts link under the tab bar. In the Name column, click the appropriate account.
- For Appointments—Click the Calendar tab, and then click the Appointments link under the tab bar. Switch to your preferred calendar view and then click on the appropriate appointment.
- For Contacts—Click the Contacts tab, and then click a contact in the Name column.
- For Expenses—Click the Finance tab, click the Expenses link under the tab bar, and then click a link in the Description column.
- For Invoices—Click the Finance tab, click the Invoices link under the tab bar, and then click a link in the Invoice Number column.
- For Projects—Click the All tab, and then click the project type that contains the appropriate project. When the project type window opens, click a project in the Project column.
- For Tasks—Click the Calendar tab, click the Tasks link under the tab bar, and then click a link in the Subject column.
The selected record opens to its General page.
- In the left pane, click the Documents page link.
You can open any documents that you created, all public documents, documents to which you have the appropriate rights, and document folders. Once you open a document, you can save it or print it. Once you open a document folder, you can manage the documents to which you have the appropriate rights.
You can also open a document to edit it if you have the related software. See Editing Documents for more information.
Note: If the document does not open, you may not have its application installed on your computer. For example, if you want to open a .pdf file, you must have Adobe Reader installed on your computer.
To open a document
You can use the following options to open documents:
- On any Documents page for a record, or global Documents page, locate the document that you want to open and click its link in the Name column. The document opens in a separate window.
See Searching for Existing Documents for more information.
- If available, the Open in Explorer link opens the Explorer Web browser that links to the Attachment Root directory of the current record. You can then use the browser to manage your TeamConnect documents.
See Using Windows Explorer with Documents (WebDAV) for more information.
Sharing Documents using Email
TeamConnect provides a Share button that lets you cut-and-paste a document URL into an email message. Once the email message is received, the recipient can click the URL to access the TeamConnect document or document folder.
To share documents in email
- Select one of the following options:
- Documents page for a record—Open a record, and then click the Documents link in the left pane.
- Global Documents tab—Click the Documents tab. If necessary, in the left pane, click the link that contains the document that you want to share.
- Click the Properties icon for the document that you want to share. The General page opens for the selected document.
- Click the Share button.
The Share Record window opens. This window contains the document URL of the document that you want to share.
- In the Share Record window, select the entire URL.
- Copy the link.
Tip: To copy, with the URL highlighted, right-click and select Copy.
- Paste the link into an email message.
To open a document URL received in an email message
If you are logged on to TeamConnect and have the appropriate rights, clicking a document URL in an email message opens the document in a browser window.
If the document URL links to a document folder or a document that contains other files (such as a .zip file), clicking the link opens the TeamConnect Documents page where the folder or file resides.
Note: If you are not logged-in to TeamConnect, the login page opens. Log in to access documents. Browser settings determine the way that documents are displayed. For example, if the browser is set to open a new tab whenever a document is opened, clicking a document URL link always opens the document in a separate tab.