You can upload invoices that have been extracted from your time and billing system in LEDES format. For more information, see What are the format requirements for invoice uploads?
To upload invoices
From anywhere in the Collaborati application, select the Invoices tab, then select the Upload Invoices sub-navigation link.
Indicate what type of invoices you are uploading by selecting the appropriate value from the "Invoice Type" drop-down list. The default is Standard invoices. If you want to specify a non-standard invoice type but it doesn't show in the invoice type drop-down, contact your client and report the problem.
Select your office from "Bill Invoice From" drop down list and "Select Office" from Recent Activity box.
In the "File to Upload" field, type the location of the file you wish to upload or click "Choose File" to navigate to the appropriate file location.
Based on your firm's profile setting, the Submit invoices directly to the client without previewing checkbox will already be selected or cleared (see How do I access or change my firm's profile information?). Override this setting for this individual upload by selecting or clearing this box.
If your file contains more than one type of invoice, be sure that this box is cleared.
Click Upload File button.
- The invoice file is validated for format compliance and stored in the database. You can immediately see if your upload was successful or not in the Recent Activity table (see File Status Details).
- If your invoice file has errors, you can see it in one of the following ways:
- The red error message displays on top of the screen, for example: "Invoice upload file contains invalid format". Most often this would be a formatting error, when the uploaded file is not in the correct format (see What are the format requirements for invoice uploads?)
- The File Status column in the Recent Activity table below for that file shows File Error. This means that every invoice in the file had at least one error, so the file cannot be submitted to the client. Click File Error to view error details (see Troubleshooting Uploaded Invoices). After reviewing files with errors, you can remove the file with errors by clicking Delete to the right side of the file name.
- The File Status in the Recent Activity table below for that file will show Errors. This means that at least one invoice in the file had an error, and some did not. You have a choice of actions at this point:
- You can submit the invoices that did not have errors by clicking the Submit button under the Actions column. After the client receives and processes those invoices, you may want to download, correct, and re-upload the remaining invoices that had errors (see How do I handle files that are Completed, with Errors?).
- You can click on the file name to view error details (see Troubleshooting Uploaded Invoices). After reviewing files with errors, you can remove the file with errors by clicking Delete to the right side of the file name.
- If your upload was successful, click Submit to submit your invoices to the client.
Note: If you want to add attachments, wait to click Submit until you add them. See How do I attach documents to my uploaded invoice? for more information.
If you selected the Submit invoices directly to the client without previewing checkbox when you uploaded the LEDES invoices, you do not need to submit the invoices. Once the invoices are submitted, the File Status changes to Waiting for Client to Accept.