Working with the Design Import Tool
For information about setting rights to use the Design Import Tool, see Group Tool Rights.
Performing a Design Upgrade
After you've generated a design upgrade file, you can use the Design Import Tool from a QA or production TeamConnect instance to upgrade to a target design version.
Before you begin, back up the destination TeamConnect database.
Important: Since both a database backup and a design import could require significant resources, Mitratech recommends that you perform design import during off-peak hours on production application servers.
Note: If the QA or production TeamConnect instance that you are upgrading is not at the same base design version supported in the design upgrade file, then the import will not complete. For example, if the QA TeamConnect instance is at design version 3 and the design upgrade file updates the design from version 4 to version 5, then the import will not complete.
To perform a design upgrade
- From the Designer application, Tools drop-down list, select Design Import Tool.
- From the Step 1 of 2: Upload File section, click Browse. Navigate to the location of the design upgrade file.
- Click Upload and Preview.
A pop-up window appears displaying a summary of design changes that results from the design import.
- Click Done after you finish reviewing the summary to close the window.
- From the Step 2 of 2: Import Design section, perform the import. If you wish to take a snapshot of the current design just before performing the import, click the relevant checkbox. Click Import. Click OK in the confirmation pop-up menu.
- DMT checks the existing design to see if any incompatibilities exist with the design that is about to be imported. If any are found, warning messages are displayed. In some cases, you are given the option to ignore the warning and continue with the import. For more details about possible warning messages, see Warnings.
Depending on the extent of design changes, the import may take a few minutes or longer. The status icon at the upper right turns while the import is in progress.
- After the import completes, a success message appears. If the import does not complete, and an error displays, click the View Log link. For more information, see General Troubleshooting Steps.
Even when your import completes with a success message, you should scan the log file for warning messages. Some items are ignored during import. A warning will be generated when an item is ignored. You should be aware of such situations.
Object Views marked as System cannot be deleted, exported, imported, or updated.