What Are Custom Fields?
To align the LegalHold system with each business's needs, system administrators can add, edit, or delete custom fields that appear on the hold summary. If LegalHold is integrated with the TeamConnect matter management system, a system administrator in the TeamConnect application can map fields in TeamConnect to the custom fields in LegalHold.
Important Note: Custom fields cannot be edited or deleted if they are mapped to TeamConnect, but can only be made read-only.
Add a Custom Field
- Log in as a system administrator then navigate to System Settings and select Manage Custom Fields.
- Select the Add New button to add a new field.
- On the Add/Edit Custom Fields page, type a numeric value to indicate where the custom field will appear in the list of custom fields.
- Select the type of custom field to be created: Date Field, Text Entry, Single Select, Multiselect, or People Select.
- Optionally, select one of the following:
- Mandatory - Applies to any field, and requires a value for the field before a user can save the record.
- Variable - Applies to Date Field, Text Entry, People Select fields only. This option allows the custom field to be used as a variable in creating email templates, hold notices, preservation notices, response pages, scheduled email tasks, and releasing holds and custodians.
- Small Text Entry - Applies to Text Entry only, and allows data entry up to 255 characters.
- Large Text Entry - Applies to Text Entry only, and allows data entry up to 2 GB.
- Number of Options - Applies to Single Select and Multiselect, and designates how many options are defined for each.
- Type the label that will appear for the custom field within the hold.
- Select Save.
Edit a Custom Field
Click the Edit (pencil) icon in the Actions column to edit an existing custom field. Changing a custom field is only allowed under the following circumstances:
- You can always modify the position of the field and/or make it mandatory (note that users will be required to add a value for existing records to be able to save the record when editing the record).
- For Date Field, Text Entry, or People Select fields, you can disable the ability for the custom field to be used as a variable in creating email templates, hold notices, preservation notices, response pages, scheduled email tasks, and releasing holds and custodians. Note that you cannot enable it after the custom field has data entered.
- For Single Select and Multiselect, you can add options to the list of selections that appear to the user when adding values for the field.
Once data has been entered for the field, you can no longer change the data type of the field.
Delete a Custom Field
Click the Delete (trashcan) icon in the Actions column to remove an existing custom field. You cannot delete a custom field that has values entered in the field on existing records.