Invoices can be entered into Lawtrac two ways:
- They can be imported by utilizing LEDES code e-Billing.
- They can be typed in manually.
If you add invoices manually, add them from the Invoice Management page under the Finance tab.
You can add two kinds of invoices:
- Detailed—Invoices with budget line item information. Click Add New Detailed Invoice to add this type of invoice.
- Summary—Invoices that include the summary totals. Click Add New Summary Invoice to add this type of invoice.
Note: Do not use your browser’s "back" button when adding new invoices.
- When creating either type of invoice, you must first select the firm or vendor that submitted the invoice from the drop-down list. Click Look-Up Firm/Vendor to continue to the next step.
Important Note: Use with discretion; released firms and vendors still appear on the drop-down list.
- You can specify that the invoice is pre-approved during invoice creation: From the second screen for creating an invoice, select the invoice approver from the "Invoice Has Been Approved by" drop-down list. If you do not see the appropriate user’s name in the drop-down list of invoice approvers, contact your Lawtrac administrator. Users must be granted permission to approve invoices before their name appears on this list.
- The "Comments" text box of the invoice automatically includes a statement with the name of the person who entered the pre-approved invoice and the approval date. The approval chain area displays only the selected approver.
- If you do not want to pre-approve the invoice, keep the None, Approval Required as the default in the drop-down list.
- After you specify the approval state, click Continue.
At the beginning of invoice creation, you are required to associate the invoice with one matter. Later, when creating a detailed invoice, you can add an additional matter to associate with other line items. When creating a summary invoice, you can add an additional matter with more invoice summary information.
Important Note: The "Matter" drop-down list only contains the matters assigned to your firm/vendor. If your matter is missing from the list, leave the drop-down list on "Required" and click Look-Up Matter. A search bar is generated, and the new drop-down list contains all matter records.
After you select a matter, click Look-up Matter.