Use the Change Phase button in the list view to change the phase of a matter. Each matter record goes through specific phases that move a matter along in its life cycle - from the beginning to the end of the matter.
The following default phases are provided:
- Intake—Assigned to all matters when they are first created.
- Open—Indicates that work has begun on this matter.
- Closed—Indicates that the matter has reached a resolution. When selecting this phase, you may be prompted to enter specific information, such as an evaluation of outside counsel.
- Reopen—Opens a closed matter.
You may see additional phases that are provided based on your company's needs.
Each time you select a new phase, the Change Phase drop-down list displays the next phase in the life cycle. You cannot skip a required phase or go back to a previous phase. For example, you cannot select Reopen after the Open phase; the current phase must be Closed to select Re- Open.
To change the phase of a matter
- Search for a matter and open it.
- Click Change Phase, and then select a phase from the drop-down list.
Disputes Change Phase Button
The phase is changed and the new phase is automatically displayed in the Current Phase field on the General page of the matter record.