Introducing Interactive Invoice Review
TeamConnect 6.3 introduces a streamlined way to review and manage line items within invoices. Users have the ability to turn this feature ON.
Learn more about managing invoices on this page.
Clients can adopt this new feature at their convenience or continue using the existing line item review functionality. The new interactive line items can be “turned on” by the security group using the Setup tool in TeamConnect.
Important Note: The following features can be found in the existing line item review but have not yet been built into the new interactive line items. All of these are prioritized for the phase 2 release of interactive line items. If a workaround is available, it is described below.
- Inline Adjustment History - the clickable “norgi” arrow that displays a synopsis of all adjustments on the line item made thus far
- Workaround: Adjustment history is visible inside the adjustment modal on each line item
- Revert Adjustments inside the Inline Adjustment History - the ability to select a checkbox next to each adjustment history item in order to revert it by the action of the Revert button
- Workaround: Manually revert past adjustments by negating their value
- Reject line items - the ability to select 1 or more line items and reject them by action of the Reject button outside the grid
- Workaround: Adjust each line item to zero by changing the rate or quantity to zero
- Appealed invoice line item tag - line items appealed by firm billing analysts reappears in the grid with an “Appealed” tag
- Bulk / Inline adjustment of line items - when enabled, the ability to view the grid of line items in a separate screen where one or more items can be selected in bulk for uniform adjustment; or the ability to tab through quantity, rate and total values to insert new numbers quickly
- Printable view - the ability to render the grid of line items in a separate view which is specially formatted for printing to paper
Turning on Interactive Invoice Review
Users in TeamConnect Enterprise 5.0+ has the ability to turn on the new Interactive Invoice Review feature. This is done in the Setup tool - continue reading for step-by-step instructions on how to turn on this configuration, or reach out to Services.
In TeamConnect Essentials:
If using Essentials, you must install the version of TEss that has this feature (Essentials 6.2.4+). No other configuration is needed after a successful installation.
In TeamConnect Enterprise:
The instructions below are for users who are upgrading to a newer version of TeamConnect.
NOTE: Installing the TeamConnect for the first-time, contact Services team to enable this feature.
If you are upgrading from TCE 5.0+, follow these steps:
- Log into TeamConnect as a system administrator and click the Setup button in the top right corner of the screen.
- Click the Go To... drop-down menu and select Object Definitions.
- Click on the Invoice object.
- Navigate to the Object Views tab.
- Delete the Line Items, then select Slick Line Items from the drop-down menu.
- Save and Close the setup tool.
- Restart the TeamConnect instance.
Note for the Services:
If adding the new block for a new client, a New Tab Configuration will need to be created for the New Slick Invoice block.
Invoice Record Pages
The General page of the invoice is as shown below:
To analyze the details of a required line item, the user can apply filter options with different values provided in each column of the invoice.
The Line Items grid divided into two types of columns:
- Default Columns
- Optional Columns
- Item Type
- Has Adjustment
- Original Rate
- Original Quantity
- Original Discount
- Original Total
- Adjusted Total
- Adjusted History
- Adjusted Quantity
- Adjusted Rate
- Adjustment Total
- Has Warnings
- a user can add the selected columns from column configuration to the grid.
- the optional columns can be resized and reorder.
- the columns are automatically adjusted with the text entered.
- the horizontal scroll bar is extended to move to the left of the grid.
Interactive widgets roll-up critical spend data and act as filters for the line items of the invoice as described below.
- Total Spend by Type: Breaks down spend between Expense and Fee in the invoice. Hovering on the Fee or Expense slice, shows the total spend and the percentage of the total spend by that type. The invoice line items can be filtered by either spend type by clicking on a pie slice.
- Total Spend by Timekeeper: Displays the total spend and percentage of spend for the top 5 highest spend timekeepers on the invoice. All of the remaining timekeeper spend is captured under “Other”. Hovering on the slice, displays the Timekeeper Name, Percentage of amount spent and the total sum spent (Rate x Quantity) by the timekeeper. The invoice line items can be filtered by each timekeeper by clicking on a pie slice.
- Total Spend by Task Code: Displays the total spend and percentage of spend for the top 5 highest spend task categories on the invoice. All of the remaining task category spend is captured under “Other”. The Task Code widget corresponds to the Category column in the line item table. The invoice line items can be filtered by each task code category by clicking on a pie slice.
To clear the applied filters that are in the columns, click Clear All Filters button.
You can configure additional columns to be displayed in the grid. By default, Default Columns appear.
To configure or add the columns:
- Right click on the Column Header.
- A pop-up window appears with the Default columns and Optional columns.
- Select the checkbox of the required columns to be displayed in the grid.
- The column placement can be changed by drag and drop and columns can be added or removed.
- Once the column configuration is set, it will persist from session to session as long as the user is logged into TeamConnect from the same computer, in the same browser.
- To cancel, click .
- To restore the default configuration, click the Reset Columns button.
- If the Reset columns button is in grey, then the columns in the Line Items grid are in the default view.
- This hides non-default columns (if any), restores user hidden default columns (if any), restores the order of the columns and restores column widths to standard values.
Creating Invoices in TeamConnect
The steps to create an invoice manually in TeamConnect have not changed in the new invoice review feature. Instructions to create a new invoice can be found here. The steps to add line items have changed.
NOTE: Line items are required for all invoices sent from Collaborati to TeamConnect.
Once an invoice is created, if it has no line items, the invoice line item grid will appear as follows:
To add line items to an invoice that has been manually created in TeamConnect:
- Click Edit at the top of the invoice.
- Scroll down to the Line Item section.
- Enter all the required fields in the line item.
- Click Add.
- Upon clicking Add, the new line item appears in the Line Item grid.
- Repeat steps 1- 4 until all line items have been added and the click Save & View and the invoice will be updated with the new items.
Removing Line Items
To remove a line item:
- Ensure an invoice is in the approval workflow either in create or edit mode.
- Select the check box of the line item to be removed. The selected line item is highlighted. See the below image.
- Click Remove.
NOTE: If the invoice is in the approval workflow, this option is no longer available.
Description and Warnings
The Description and Warning text of the line item are displayed in the row of the line item. If there is no description, then ‘N/A’ is displayed in the line item. If the length of the text is more than one line, a “Show more’ hyperlink is provided which expands on click and changes to 'show less'. To collapse the window, click "Show less". The text fields are provided with Smart search functionality. On entering the first two characters the match criteria of the search result appear in the list with highlighted. If no filter is matched with a smart search, then the text boxes are grayed out. Warning messages are displayed in 'Red' color.
NOTE: Warning messages are not displayed when there are no warning alerts.
Displays the modified or adjusted values made to Original values. The number of values is provided by hyperlink.
The user from the Approval list can edit/adjust the invoice. To view the adjustment history of the values, the user should
- Click on the hyperlink of the value.
- A pop-up window appears which displays Line Item Adjustment History.
- Select New Amount from the drop-down list and enter the new value.
- Select Reason for Adjustment from the drop-down list.
- The new Adjusted values are displayed in Adjusted Row.
- Click Save.
- To cancel, click Cancel.
When a Non-assigned user or reviewer clicks on the value hyperlink, displays the adjustment history as shown below:
The user is restricted to edit the original value.
The Invoices procedures are of two types:
Search Functionality in different Columns
To view the invoices, select the Date Picker Calendar in date column. When a user clicks on the date column, the system displays a calendar.
- Select the start date and end date in the calendar to view the invoices ranging on the selected date.
- Double click on the same date for Start Date and End Date to view the records of a particular date.
To view the Item Types:
- Select the required Item type ALL, Expenses or Fees from the drop-down list.
- Selected items types appears in the grid.
- The same is reflected in the Total Spend by Type pie chart widget.
To view the columns that are adjusted:
- Select the value "Any", "Auto", "Manual" or "Both" from drop-down list.
- Displays the selected value line items in the grid. The values are provided with hyperlink.
- When user clicks on the hyperlink, Adjustment History Modal pop-up window with the Adjusted history details appears.
To search for a Timekeeper
- Enter first two characters of a person in the filter box.
- The filter is enabled with smart search.
- The matching name of the timekeepers appears on the list.
- Select the required Timekeeper from the list.
- The line items of the Timekeeper appears in the grid.
- The users have an option to select single or multiple invoices.
Column Filtering (Number)
To view the rows with required number/value,
- Enter the required value in the number filter column.
- Select the required line item to perform the functionality.
- Using operators (<, > and =), to filter the required number to/which pulls the exact value. If no operator is selected, then assumed as a direct match. The below are the operators:
- <, >, = exclusively and only one at a time.
- = pulls up the exact value
- Number filter is applied for both Quantity and currency columns (Original Quantity, Original Rate, Original discount, Original Total, Adjusted Quantity, Adjusted Rate, Adjusted discount, Adjusted Total, Adjustment Total).
To review the large invoices with many line items:
- Enter the Activity details in the filter box of the column.
- All the line items pertaining to a specific matter displays in the grid.
- This helps the user to focus on the specific groups of line items.
Displays the line items with Matter name that are billed/linked against the Matter in the grid of the Invoice. The column is provided with ascending and descending options with display name.
Reviewing Invoice Line Items
Invoice approvers can quickly filter and manage individual line items on larger invoices by using the Mark Reviewed and Mark Unreviewed buttons. These buttons act as quick filters to display which line items are reviewed and unreviewed. Widgets can be further filtered with the Work Status Filter: All, Only Reviewed and Only Unreviewed. All invoice line items will remain in the "unreviewed" state until the invoice is put into workflow (when the post button is clicked).
If the user is an invoice approver, line items display with All, Only Reviewed and Only Unreviewed options, see image below:
- All: Displays all the line items of the invoice.
- Only Reviewed: Displays all the reviewed (eye ball open) line items..
- Only Unreviewed: Displays all the unreviewed (eye ball closed) line items..
NOTE: To view the Approve button, Users must be listed in the invoice workflow.
Totals Rows and Counts
Users can view the total number of line items and the number of selected line items (if any) at the bottom of the invoice line item grid.
Totals appear at the bottom of the invoice line item grid for the columns Quantity, Discount, Original Total and Adjusted Total. When the filter is applied to the columns, the total value of the filtered rows are displayed at the bottom of the grid.