To submit LEDES98B file with Non-US Tax, you must check if your client has the feature "International Line Item Tax Details" set to OFF.
1. Select the Clients tab.
2. Either search for the client or click the name of the client.
3. Click the Settings sub-navigation link for that client.
4. In the Settings page, locate International Line Item Tax Details
If the International Line Item Tax Details setting is ON, then you cannot use LEDES98B file with Non-US Tax Codes. To find which formats do allow for Non-US Tax Codes, see below.
If the International Line Item Tax Details setting is OFF, see the information below:
How to create LEDES98B files with Non-US Taxes
Enter line items as usual. Then enter one or more extra rows in the file to contain tax amounts. Create one tax row in the file for each combination of matter / line item type / Non-US Tax category that is included in the invoice. In addition to the regular data requirements for LEDES files, note the following additional requirements for each Non-US Tax row:
- If a category relates to Fees, use value "F" in field EXP/FEE/INV_ADJ_TYPE and put the Non-US Tax code for fees in field LINE_ITEM_TASK_CODE.
- If a category relates to Expenses, use value "E" in field EXP/FEE/INV_ADJ_TYPE and put the Non-US Tax code for expenses in field LINE_ITEM_EXPENSE_CODE.
- In either case, put the total tax amount for that matter and category into field LINE_ITEM_TOTAL.
Note: This does not work for Clients using “International Line Item Tax Details”
What LEDES formats allow Non-US Tax?
Formats that DO use Non-US tax are:
LEDES1998B (only applicable for Clients not using the setting International Line Item Tax Details; see above)
LEDES 98BI V2
LEDES XML 2.0
LEDES XML 2.1
Formats that DON'T use Non-US tax:
LEDES 2000 (allows US Tax)